Most of last weekend’s power outages have been restored in our region.

However, the whole experience has served as a reminder about the need for being prepared for emergencies and the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning.

The Wellington County OPP responded on Christmas Eve to two medical assistance calls for carbon monoxide poisoning.

One incident occurred at a vacant apartment building in the Town of Erin where a generator was being operated in the basement.

The second incident occurred in Elora where a generator was being operated too close to the home and fumes traveled inside.

Fire and Rescue Department along with EMS showed up and treated three adults.

Follow these safety tips to protect against CO poisoning:

NEVER use a generator inside homes, garages, crawlspaces, sheds, or similar areas, even when using fans or opening doors and windows for ventilation. Deadly levels of carbon monoxide can quickly build up in these areas and can linger for hours, even after the generator has shut off.

Install battery-operated CO alarms or plug-in CO alarms with battery back-up in your home

Carbon Monoxide is the “silent killer”. Don’t take chances. If you start to feel sick, dizzy or weak while using a generator, get to fresh air right away. Don’t delay. Seek medical help