Listen Live
Listen Live
HomeStratford NewsStratford swan dies from Avian Influenza

Stratford swan dies from Avian Influenza

- Advertisement -
You’re being urged not to feed waterfowl in the area because of Avian flu concerns.
Officials with the City of Stratford say one of its young swans died earlier this month and testing later revealed it was from the Avian Influenza.
Several wild turkey vultures along the Avon River in Stratford, as well as a bald eagle in nearby St. Marys have also died recently as a result of the virus.
Waterfowl are more prone to the virus, and city staff is monitoring closely for illness along the river, working with veterinarians and following the guidance from the Canadian Food Inspection Agency.
Hand-feeding encourages the birds to gather around food sources, and can increase the probability of transmission of the Avian Influenza virus, also known as the “bird flu.”
Local retailers have also stopped selling packaged swan food during this bird flu outbreak.
Anyone who finds a dead, injured or sick swan in the parks system is asked to call Stratford’s Forestry and Cemetery Manager.
- Advertisement -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -

Continue Reading